Quiz: Hästen i historien

Om hästar, ryttare, ridning, körning mm genom historien, både civilt och militärt. Värd: Markus Holst
Skriv svar
Femtiotrean
Medlem

Re: Quiz: Hästen i historien

Inlägg av Femtiotrean » 13 februari 2023, 08:24

vänligen.jpg
vänligen.jpg (53.33 KiB) Visad 184 gånger
Det som krävs här - som i många andra quiztrådar (trots att det inte längre finns så himla många aktiva quiztrådar) - är inte kunskap om hästar utan nyfikenhet, viss kunskap om allmän historia och vilja att ta en liten tid att hitta svaret.

Och så förstås måste man helt enkelt lita på att man får inspiration och hittar en ny fråga utan att behöva svättas för mycket...

Användarvisningsbild
Markus Holst
C Skalman
Kontakt:

Inlägg av Markus Holst » 13 februari 2023, 09:57

Tyvärr känner jag mig helt lost på denna tråd. Min googlingsförmåga är inte god nog.

Patrik Öbrink
Medlem

Inlägg av Patrik Öbrink » 13 februari 2023, 11:53

The 1997 Grand National (known officially as the Martell Grand National and also informally as the Monday National) was the 150th official running of the Grand National steeplechase held at Aintree near Liverpool. The race was scheduled to be run on Saturday 5 April 1997, but was postponed by two days to Monday 7 April after a Provisional Irish Republican Army (IRA) bomb threat forced the evacuation of the course.

(---)

The race was originally scheduled to be run on Saturday 5 April at 3:45pm. However, at 2:49pm one bomb threat was made via telephone to Aintree University Hospital in Fazakerley, and three minutes later a second was made via telephone to the police's control room in Bootle, both using recognised codewords of the Provisional Irish Republican Army (IRA). At least one device was warned to have been planted within Aintree Racecourse. This was one of several IRA threats in the lead up to the 1997 UK general election.

The police evacuated 60,000 people from the course, stranding 20,000 racegoers, media personnel and those connected to the competing horses, as their vehicles remained locked inside the confines of the course. Initially, spectators were evacuated from the stands onto the course itself but after consultation with the police, course clerk Charles Barnett advised via the live broadcast that everyone would have to leave the course completely. This prompted tabloid headlines such as "We'll fight them on the Becher's", in reference to Winston Churchill's war-time speech We shall fight on the beaches.

Most of the competing horses either travelled home or were moved to nearby Haydock. A dozen remained in the stables at Aintree.

At 4:14pm, the police carried out two controlled explosions at the course. Fewer than 10,000 of the original crowd were expected to return for the postponed race, but over 20,000 turned out at Aintree on Monday 7 April to watch Lord Gyllene gallop to a 25-length victory, 49 hours late. In a retrospective item broadcast during ITV's coverage of the 2017 Grand National, it was revealed that another bomb threat was made on Monday. However, Merseyside Police were confident that the threat was a hoax and the race went ahead without disruption. Former Assistant Chief Constable of Merseyside Police, Sir Paul Stephenson, believed a bomb was never planted at Aintree Racecourse.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1997_Grand_National

Femtiotrean
Medlem

Inlägg av Femtiotrean » 13 februari 2023, 12:57

Jag var inte där, men jag var i London och tittade på teve, men jag minns inte om jag såg hur:
In television scenes raw with emotion, a tearful Jenny Pitman – distraught at the horses being left alone in the stables – told the BBC’s Des Lynam “Don’t tell me these people love horses”
Hästarna flyttades dock till näraliggande Haydock Park, en mindrra galoppbana.

Det kanske hör till denna sport att grubbla över och tänka hur det skulle ha gått om och ifall:
With the spontaneous generosity of Liverpudlians prompting Churchillian tabloid headlines such as “We’ll fight them on the Becher’s”, the race was staged 48 hours later on Monday teatime when 20,000 people, including the then premier John Major, watched Lord Gyllene win by 25 lengths.

For Jamie Osborne, this remains the National that got away – he believes that the delay, unavoidable in the circumstances, cost him victory on the Charlie Brooks-trained grey Suny Bay.

With every passing hour, the ground dried out to the detriment of Suny Bay. “My initial feeling after the race was run was one of disappointment. It was my first proper chance of winning the Grand National,” he said.

“He was a horse who really wanted soft ground to be seen at his best and unfortunately the ground dried up before the Monday. Whether the bomb scare cost me winning the Grand National, we’ll never know.”

At first, spectators were asked to clear the stands and congregate on the course itself. But when a second threat – also using a recognised code word – was received three minutes later at the police's control room in Bootle, warning of at least one concealed device, course clerk Charles Barnett announced the show was over and we were all required to leave. There had been several bomb threats from the IRA in the build-up to the 1997 General Election, and as 60,000 racegoers were shepherded out into the Melling Road, one of the displaced guests shuffling into a grey afternoon next to me was Labour deputy leader John Prescott.

Big John would enjoy a better result at the polls three weeks later, but for 20,000 spectators, staff, media and race personnel, there was the small matter of our cars being locked inside Aintree's gates. And nobody was going to be allowed to collect them until a full security sweep of the stands, concourses, car parks, 16 fences, three open ditches and water jump was complete.
Bild

Patrik har frågan!

Patrik Öbrink
Medlem

Inlägg av Patrik Öbrink » 13 februari 2023, 15:36

Vi håller oss kvar inom galoppsporten och stannar på Brittiska öarnas men vi går tillbaka lite i tiden.

Jag söker en skandal som blev en film.

Var, när och hur?

häst.jpeg
Hästen

gubbe.jpeg
"The Mastermind"

skandalfilm.jpeg
Tränaren i filmen

Patrik Öbrink
Medlem

Inlägg av Patrik Öbrink » 14 februari 2023, 05:47

Det var två hästar inblandade i det här försöket till bluff.

Femtiotrean
Medlem

Inlägg av Femtiotrean » 14 februari 2023, 08:20

Det är ju Pierce Brosnan! Vilket leder oss via Wikipedia till hans Instagram-sida:
This is from my first TV appearance 1980 on a movie called “Murphy’s Stroke” about an Irish horse racing sting. I played one of Ireland’s Top horse trainers Eddie O’Grady ... a cracking old yarn it was.

Pierce Brosnan took his first major acting role, playing trainer Edward O’Grady, before going on to land the part of James Bond.

The film is based on the true story of an audacious gamble which was almost pulled off by millionaire Cork-based businessman Tony Murphy. His plan was to switch an ordinary horse for the promising Gay Future trained by Edward O'Grady and run it in a low-level race at Cartmel in Cumbria. Bets were to be placed in doubles and trebles with two other horses trained by Anthony Collins, based in Scotland, but there was never an intention of running the other two, meaning all wagers would be settled as single win bets on Gay Future.

You might find it hard to believe it could happen if you did not already know that it had. The plan involves switching horses on the M6, blocking the one and only phone line at Cartmel racecourse and taking the bookies to the cleaners. It would have worked perfectly if Collins had not decided to leave the two non-runners at his yard all afternoon, a fact his housekeeper let slip to an inquisitive journalist. That prevented the bookmakers from paying out and led to Murphy and Collins being convicted at Preston Crown Court and barred from British racecourses for 10 years. To this day, O’Grady refuses to talk about his part in the plan.

Mer

https://www.racingpost.com/news/feature ... sZ3v38eUp/

Patrik Öbrink
Medlem

Inlägg av Patrik Öbrink » 14 februari 2023, 09:19

Ibland ska det löna sig att ha koll på skådespelare också!

Femtiotrean tar oss vidare.

Femtiotrean
Medlem

Inlägg av Femtiotrean » 14 februari 2023, 14:18

Eller om ni inte har en halvtimme (eller om ni tycker inte om irländsk brytning):

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yellow_Sam_betting_coup

Fråga kommer...

Femtiotrean
Medlem

Inlägg av Femtiotrean » 14 februari 2023, 15:28

Jag var som sagt i England i början av april år 1997. Mina engelska vänner hade naturligtvis:
A quarter of UK adults have a flutter on the race
Nearly half the UK population have a flutter on the race in Aintree
The Grand National takes place on Saturday, with over 15 million Brits expected to have a flutter on the race
spelat på en häst och därför beslöt jag mig att också have a flutter, £10 each way on Suny Bay med oddset 8/1. Jag visste förstås ingenting om galopphästar, men hästen var second favourite och den var grå...

Som ni redan vet så vann Lord Gyllene med oddset 14/1 och Suny Bay kom tvåa.

Hur många pund fick jag i näven?

Patrik Öbrink
Medlem

Inlägg av Patrik Öbrink » 15 februari 2023, 06:55

Du borde ha fått 30 pund.

Femtiotrean
Medlem

Inlägg av Femtiotrean » 15 februari 2023, 08:10

Det stämmer.

Det beror på vilket typ av lopp det är och hur stort fältet är, men i Grand National är platsoddset 1/4 av vinnaroddset och en häst platsar när den är bland de fyra första i målet.

Alltså: mitt vad hade kostat mig £10 + £10 = £20 och jag vann 1/4 x 8/1 x £10 + insatsen £10 = £30.

Hade Suny Bay vunnit, så hade jag bookien betalat mig £90 + £30 = £120.

Patrik har frågan!

Patrik Öbrink
Medlem

Inlägg av Patrik Öbrink » 15 februari 2023, 11:27

Det har skrivits många handböcker i hästhantering. Jag söker en av de tidigaste, som inleds med orden: "Inget djur är ädlare än hästen, för genom hästen skiljer sig kungar och furstar från andra fattiga människor".

Vilken är boken och vad hette författaren?

Femtiotrean
Medlem

Inlägg av Femtiotrean » 16 februari 2023, 07:29

“No animal is nobler than the horse, for by the horse kings and princes are distinguished from other poor people” says Jordanus Ruffus in the opening lines of his treatise on horsemanship. Rufus’s work was a medieval bestseller, surviving in 173 copies in numerous languages. Most of the copies are in Latin, but some are in Italian, Occitan, French and German, with one copy being in Hebrew. The treatise was also plagiarized by other medieval authors, notably Laurenco Rusio, whose work went into print in the late fifteenth and early sixteenth century.
Giordano Ruffo or Jordanus Ruffus ( fl. 1200-1256) was an Italian nobleman known for one of the oldest works in veterinary medicine dealing with the horse and its diseases De Medicina Equorum.

Ruffo's single book was written in Latin and is considered as one of the earliest works on veterinary medicine. The book had six parts covering reproduction; training of foals; maintenance; qualities and defects; diseases; and treatments. There are about 173 manuscript copies known of the work and about 16 print versions translated into Italian, Latin, French, German, Catalan, Galician, Occitan and Hebrew. The best known edition is Jordani Ruffi Calabriensis Hippiatria (Padua, 1818). Several later derivatives editions exist including Mulomedicina (or Medela equorum ) by Teodorico Borgognoni (late 13th century); Marescalcia by Dino Dini, Traité d'hippiatrie by Guillaume de Villiers (15th century); and Manuschansia by Agostino Columbre (1490).
In his popular thirteenth-century equine training and veterinary manual, La Marechaucie des chevaux, Jordanus Rufus demands that horse trainers modify their own speech to communicate effectively with horses, thus overturning assumptions of human dominance over horses in medieval chivalric partnerships. The resultant tactile, nonverbal equine language becomes constitutive of all training and encourages the horse’s willing participation. In addition, Rufus prohibits the violent use of whips, spurs, and harsh bits—tools that intimidate horses and are therefore incompatible with Rufus’s desire to honor equine emotional sensitivity. When a trainer adopts equine language and avoids coercion, he places the horse’s needs and preferences above his own, becoming a steward and protector of the animals Rufus identified as the most noble of beasts.

Jag fuskade genom att söka på "treatise horsemanship", men vi lever på 2020-talet, inte på 1960-talet :wink:

Patrik Öbrink
Medlem

Inlägg av Patrik Öbrink » 16 februari 2023, 08:28

Femtiotrean skrev:
16 februari 2023, 07:29

Jag fuskade genom att söka på "treatise horsemanship", men vi lever på 2020-talet, inte på 1960-talet :wink:
Det är helt okej att göra så. Annars hade jag ju behövt hitta på en ny ledtråd ... :D

Femtiotrean får tillbaka frågan.

Skriv svar