Quiz: Hästen i historien

Om hästar, ryttare, ridning, körning mm genom historien, både civilt och militärt. Värd: Markus Holst
Skriv svar
Femtiotrean
Medlem

Re: Quiz: Hästen i historien

Inlägg av Femtiotrean » 13 augusti 2021, 14:51

Bild

https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Cate ... khal-Tekes
These are such intriguing horses! The naturally high head carriage, the elegant heads, and exotic look make them beautiful. Their anorexic appearance makes me wonder a) why their owners don't feed them (joke!) and b) whether they will hold up to work. Well, guess what? They're beautiful and tough.
Link
Purebred Akhal-Tekes do not look anorexic. Horses are horses, and the reason why the ones you see in pictures look emaciated is because they often ARE emaciated. Unfortunately for the horses, there are a lot of enthusiasts who believe the overly-skinny look is part of the breed's "Type," so some breeders and owners will underfeed their horses to produce the desired appearance. When really, all you have to do is feed them and they get fat just like any other breed!

Användarvisningsbild
Markus Holst
C Skalman
Kontakt:

Inlägg av Markus Holst » 13 augusti 2021, 20:38

Initially laughed at, his style revolutionized the sport worldwide
Så besrkivs denne unge mans stil, efter att han flyttat till England. I hans hemland var det inte ovanligt, men trots att där fanns ryttare som redan före honom red på detta vis omtalas han ofta som uppfinnare av stilen. Det beror troligen på att inget anses ha hänt förrän det händer i Europa.

Vem är den unge mannan, och vilken man i hans hemland föregick honom utan att nämnas i historieböckerna?

Femtiotrean
Medlem

Inlägg av Femtiotrean » 13 augusti 2021, 21:15

Jag råkade vara i England när Slip Anhor vann Derbyt. Om Steve Cauthen har någon sagt (innan han flyttade) 'That boy could ride a swamp hog naked through the Louisiana bayous and still win by 25 lengths,' Men jag tror han hade sin egen stil endast vad gäller taktik, alltså att han gillade att leda "pillar to post" - men han måste nog ha haft en föregångare...

Användarvisningsbild
Markus Holst
C Skalman
Kontakt:

Inlägg av Markus Holst » 13 augusti 2021, 21:40

Du får gå mer än 100 år tillbaka i tiden.

Användarvisningsbild
Markus Holst
C Skalman
Kontakt:

Inlägg av Markus Holst » 14 augusti 2021, 22:18

Bild

Femtiotrean
Medlem

Inlägg av Femtiotrean » 15 augusti 2021, 07:11

Simms began racing in the North in 1887 and became the most-successful rider to adopt the short stirrup since the antebellum slave and rider Abe Hawkins. The short stirrup, which is now ubiquitous, lifts the rider over the horse’s withers (the ridge between the horse’s shoulder bones) and thereby allows the animal better balance. In 1895 Simms became the first American jockey to win in England. The short stirrup, however, earned more esteem after the white American jockey Tod Sloan used it to win English races in 1897, and it soon came to be known as the “American seat.”
https://www.britannica.com/biography/Willie-Simms

Tod Sloan, byname of James Forman Sloan, (born August 10, 1874, near Kokomo, Indiana, U.S.—died December 21, 1933, Los Angeles, California), American jockey, who popularized the “monkey crouch” riding style, which at first was derided but later was adopted by most jockeys. He was a colourful, self-assertive personage, but he squandered his considerable earnings and died in poverty.

Sloan’s nickname of “Tod” (he inaccurately stated that his full name was James Todhunter Sloan) was originally “Toad,” referring to the appearance his disproportionately short legs gave him. Because of his unusual build, he found it convenient to use short stirrups and to ride low, with his head almost resting on the horse’s neck. Although the riding style had been developed much earlier, dating at least to the African American slave and jockey Abe Hawkins (died 1867), the majority of jockeys evidently copied it from Sloan.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tod_Sloan ... ing_career

Användarvisningsbild
Markus Holst
C Skalman
Kontakt:

Inlägg av Markus Holst » 15 augusti 2021, 10:40

Jomen, femtiotrean, tillbaka till dig!

Femtiotrean
Medlem

Inlägg av Femtiotrean » 15 augusti 2021, 13:12

Vi flyttar oss till kontinenten...
ifrankrike.jpg
...men det som vi söker är en organisation på de Brittiska öarna.

Femtiotrean
Medlem

Inlägg av Femtiotrean » 16 augusti 2021, 11:20

Bilden är från första världskriget, men organisationen i fråga grundades - dock inte med samma namn som man känner idag - i fredstid och den hade varit verksam redan under Balkankriget.

Användarvisningsbild
Markus Holst
C Skalman
Kontakt:

Inlägg av Markus Holst » 16 augusti 2021, 19:19

Får jag komma med två gissningar? Dels tänker jag på blue cross, som verkar ha varit aktiva under vv1, vilket även RSPCA verkar ha varit.

Femtiotrean
Medlem

Inlägg av Femtiotrean » 16 augusti 2021, 20:04

Bild
Blue Cross is a registered animal welfare charity in the United Kingdom, founded in 1897 in London. The charity provides support for pet owners who cannot afford private veterinary treatment, helps to find homes for unwanted animals, and educates the public in the responsibilities of animal ownership.
The organisation was founded as Our Dumb Friends League, to care for working horses on the streets of the British capital. It opened its first animal hospital, in Victoria, London, on 15 May 1906.
In 1912, the league launched The Blue Cross Fund to care for horses during the Balkan War. On the outbreak of the First World War in 1914, it was quickly reopened again. The name of the appeal fund became more widely known than the official charity title and the league officially changed its name to "The Blue Cross" in 1950. In 2011 the charity dropped "The" from its name and is now simply known as "Blue Cross."

Goodbye Old Man is a striking image of a soldier bidding farewell to his fatally injured horse. Goodbye Old Man was commissioned by the Blue Cross in 1916 to raise money to help horses on active service. The artist is Fortunino Matania and it is one of his most famous war-time illustrations, and a fine example of his emotive work.

Bild

"Goodbye Old Man", watercolour, painted by Fortunino Matania (Italian, 1881-1963), showing a British soldier saying farewell to his dying horse. The painting was commissioned by The Blue Cross Fund in 1916 to raise money to help relieve the suffering of horses on active service in Europe. Over one million horses saw service with the British Army during World War I and The Blue Cross treated thousands.

Markus has frågan!

Användarvisningsbild
Markus Holst
C Skalman
Kontakt:

Inlägg av Markus Holst » 17 augusti 2021, 17:13

Vad kallas en skogsbagge oftast?

Patrik Öbrink
Medlem

Inlägg av Patrik Öbrink » 19 augusti 2021, 08:44

Gotlandsruss

Användarvisningsbild
Markus Holst
C Skalman
Kontakt:

Inlägg av Markus Holst » 19 augusti 2021, 09:56

Så är det. Patrik tar över.

Jag har aldrig hört någon använda ordet skogsbagge, så det är antingen lokalt eller ålderdomligt.

Patrik Öbrink
Medlem

Inlägg av Patrik Öbrink » 19 augusti 2021, 10:17

Vem är den stolte fadern?

Guldstjärna till den som också kan berätta vad fölen kallades (som grupp).

farsanochungarna .png

Skriv svar