Fredrik prince of Lüneburg

Diskussioner kring släktforskning.
Skriv svar
Volmar Farenbach
Ny medlem

Fredrik prince of Lüneburg

Inlägg av Volmar Farenbach » 21 juli 2011, 13:36

Hello
I have a problem with Fredrik prince of Lüneburg. He was Karl IX’s son in law and felled in battle of Kircholm (27.09.1605). I can’t found some information about this marriage. I know, Karl had 2 dotter: Katarina (1584-1638) and Maria Elisabet (1596-1618). Probably, his (Fredrik's) fiancee was Katarina.
Do you have some information about this planned marriage?
Mariusz

Ben
Medlem

Re: Fredrik prince of Lüneburg

Inlägg av Ben » 21 juli 2011, 19:42

Well, where does it say "son-in-law"? There is nothing about this in the Svenskt Biografiskt Lexikon (Swedish Biographical Dictionary).

Användarvisningsbild
Kapten_Gars
Medlem

Inlägg av Kapten_Gars » 22 juli 2011, 10:27

Duke Friedrich of Lüneburg who commanded a regiment of German mercenaries at Kircholm and was killed in the rout is an elusive charachter about whom it is hard to find information. Probably because he is did not belong the Lüneburg or aka Braunschweig-Lüneburg line of the Welf family but was the son of Otto II, Duke of Braunschweig-Harburg
http://books.google.se/books?id=qJINAAA ... &q&f=false

Volmar Farenbach
Ny medlem

Inlägg av Volmar Farenbach » 22 juli 2011, 11:58

The information about Fredrik prince of Lüneburg as son-in-law I found in “Carolomachia qua Felix victoria... per loan. Carolum Chodkiewicium... M. D. L. generalem militiae ducem... de Carolo duce Sudermanniae... A. D. 1605 in Livonia sub Kurknolmun... Vilnae, 1606”. In his book is written: “Degener, o gener, o nostris contrarie fatis” (You aren’t deserving to be my son-in-law; this is translate from polish literature). It is said by Karl to Fredrik.
It is side from “Carolomachia” with this sentence: http://kurlandia.files.wordpress.com/20 ... machia.jpg

Volmar Farenbach
Ny medlem

Inlägg av Volmar Farenbach » 22 juli 2011, 13:41

Duke Friedrich of Lüneburg=Duke of Braunschweig-Harburg, probably are the same people.
The deth's date is wrong (16. Februar 1605), but other information’s are true (“Treffen bei Kercholm”, “Sein Leichman wurde, (…) nach Mitau gebracht“).

Ben
Medlem

Inlägg av Ben » 22 juli 2011, 14:50

Volmar Farenbach skrev:The information about Fredrik prince of Lüneburg as son-in-law I found in “Carolomachia qua Felix victoria... per loan. Carolum Chodkiewicium... M. D. L. generalem militiae ducem... de Carolo duce Sudermanniae... A. D. 1605 in Livonia sub Kurknolmun... Vilnae, 1606”. In his book is written: “Degener, o gener, o nostris contrarie fatis” (You aren’t deserving to be my son-in-law; this is translate from polish literature). It is said by Karl to Fredrik.
It is side from “Carolomachia” with this sentence: http://kurlandia.files.wordpress.com/20 ... machia.jpg
Well, I can find no evidence of any marriage or even discussions about one but there seem to have been attempts to find suitable princes abroad at about the same time.

First question is of course: Is this "Carolomachia" strictly speaking a work of history or could the author have "improved" on the real story by adding an element of fiction?

As far as I can understand Hans Bilfeldt did not particularly care for the prince, whose sister was married to Erik Brahe. I believe some Bilfeldt letters were printed in the 1930's.

Volmar Farenbach
Ny medlem

Inlägg av Volmar Farenbach » 22 juli 2011, 15:32

“Carolomachia” is strictly speaking a work of history. I’am seeing in this book any elements of fiction. For polish historian is it a basic source to analyze battle on Kircholm. Earlier, an author of “Carolomachia” wrote about gift for Fredrik as future son-in-law (The Duchy of Courland and Semgallen).
If the information about in “Carolomachia” had been true, Fredrik would have been a candidate on Karl’s son-in-law.

Ben
Medlem

Inlägg av Ben » 22 juli 2011, 16:22

What I have found is that there, generally speaking, in 1605 existed ideas about marrying the two princesses to protestant princes in Germany as well as to Sigismund and his son (Berg, T., Johan Skytte. Stockholm, 1920, p. 159 ff.; Thyresson, B., Sverige och det protestantiska Europa... Uppsala, 1928, p. 24 f.).

No mention of Fredrik though.

Ben
Medlem

Inlägg av Ben » 22 juli 2011, 16:52

In Hamburgische Biografie-Personenlexikon, Volym 2 it's actually claimed that Fredrik was killed in the Netherlands, fighting for the Spanish. It seems that his fate is indeed not so well known.

He is mentioned in the "diary" of Charles IX a couple of times, but there is no mention of a planned marriage.

Ernst Kunik intended to publish as study of the Prince. Whether he did I don't know (yet):
Kunik.jpg
Kunik.jpg (9.74 KiB) Visad 1689 gånger

Ben
Medlem

Inlägg av Ben » 23 juli 2011, 14:23

Apparently there is in the archive of Count William Louis of Nassau-Dillenburg something about Prince Fredrik. I have no idea of whether it's a well known source:

316. Verslag van Silvester Schouweshausen van de veldtocht van Karl en Friedrich, hertogen van Brunswijk-Lüneburg naar Koerland en het sneuvelen van Friedrich (1605).

Volmar Farenbach
Ny medlem

Inlägg av Volmar Farenbach » 25 juli 2011, 09:58

Ben, thanks for help!!! I have an access to Thyresson’s book and I will look at it. This is my only a trace.
316. Verslag van Silvester Schouweshausen van de veldtocht van Karl en Friedrich, hertogen van Brunswijk-Lüneburg naar Koerland en het sneuvelen van Friedrich (1605).
Probably is great source. Polish literature doesn’t know it. I found there (Archieven van de Friese stadhouders…) many interesting things. I have to try get this source.

Ben
Medlem

Inlägg av Ben » 25 juli 2011, 11:21

I haven't found any trace of an article by Ernst Kunik about the Prince. Perhaps it was never printed.

Skriv svar