Knappast vad du avser (för lätta fartyg), men intressant ändå.
Lutzow was sold to the USSR on 11 February 1940 as part of the pact between the USSR and Germany signed on 23 August 1939. At this time she had been completed only up to the superstructure deck, with A and D turrets fitted, but only the former having their guns. She was towed from Germany on 15 April 1940, bound for Leningrad, where she was to be completed by the Ordzhonikidze Yard under German supervision, with completion scheduled for 1942.
Known as Project 53, the ship was named Petropavlovsk on 25 September 1940 and, by 1941, was making good progress. However, the German plan to invade the Soviet Union led to a scaling-down of German assistance, so that the ship was only some 70 per cent complete in June 1941. She had a crew aboard and four main guns in A and D turrets, together with some 37mm, and was put into service on 15 August 1941.
When German forces came within range of the ships at Leningrad, she joined in the defense on 7 September as part of the Detachment of New Construction Ships, and fired 676 rounds in the next seven days before being hit herself on 17 September and losing all electric power. Many more hits were suffered in the next few hours, and the ship slowly flooded and settled on to the bottom with a list. It was not until 10 September 1942 that she was made watertight again, being raised on the night of 16/17 September to be towed into the yard for repairs. Provisionally repaired, and with only three 8in serviceable, she participated in the bombardments before the Soviet break-out from the Leningrad encirclement in January 1944, when she fired over 1,000 rounds.
On 1 September 1944 she was again renamed, this time as Tallin. Postwar the ship was rated as a light cruiser in January 1949, but on 11 March 1953 she became a non-propelled training ship, renamed Dnepr. In December 1956 she became the Barracks Ship PKZ-112, and was finally stricken in April 1958
Prinz Eugen was hit by bombs whilst fitting-out in July 1940, then touched off a magnetic mine while working up for the Bismarck sortie. During this sortie she scored some hits on the HMS Prince of Wales and possibly some on the HMS Hood before the latter was destroyed by the KM Bismarck. For more details on this famous battle, see "Hunt for the Bismarck" at the Bismarck link at the end of this article.
After the sinking of the Hood, the Prinz Eugen was detached from the Bismarck in order to carry out independent raiding operations. While refueling from the tanker Spichern northwest of the Azores on 26 May, machinery problems were discovered, so the raiding cruise was abandoned. The Prinz Eugen reached Brest safely on 1 June.
While in Brest the ship was hit by a bomb on 2 July 1941, causing severe internal damage, destroying her damage control center, her main gunnery control room and killing 52 of the crew. She remained trapped in Brest in company with the small battleships Scharnhorst and Gneisenau until February 1942, when Operation Cerberus, the 'Channel Dash', saw their return to Germany.
Following her return to Germany, the Prinz Eugen was almost immediatly transfered to Norway. However, in the course of this move she was torpedoed and badly damaged by the submarine HMS Trident on 23 February, losing part of her stern. A makeshift repair including two temporary rudders was undertaken in Trondheim, from where the ship departed on 16 May and, after fighting off substantial air attacks, was successfully brought home, arriving in Kiel on the 18th. Repairs took until the end of October, after which the cruiser was again ordered to Norway. After two unsuccessful attempts, however, her transfer north was cancelled at the end of February 1943.
The Prinz Eugen remained in the Baltic for the rest of the war, mostly employed as a training ship until the middle of 1944, when the situation on the Eastern Front became serious. She then provided fire support for Panzer operations against the Russian Army at Tukums, Gulf of Riga, 19 August 1944. During operations in this theatre, she collided with the light cruiser Leipzig on 15 October 1944, requiring replacement of her bow. For the remainder of the hostilities she bombarded shore positions in support of the German army as part of the 2nd Task Force until she was surrendered to the British at Copenhagen on 7 May 1945.
The Prinz Eugen was allocated to the U.S. Navy and was classified IX-300. In January 1946 she steamed, with an American and German crew, to Boston, arriving on the 24th. She was then sent on to Philadelphia where she had the two 8" (20.3 cm) cannons from her "A" turret removed. These guns were then shipped to the Navy's Weapon facility at Dahlgren, Virginia, for testing. They are now on display there.
Proceeding via the Panama Canal to the Pacific for atomic bomb tests, she survived an atomic explosion at Bikini 25 July 1946, and was towed to Kwajalein where she began to list significantly on 21 December. Despite an attempt to beach her, she capsized and sank 22 December 1946 on a coral reef at Enubuj, Kwajalein Atoll.
In 1973 former crew members made the first moves to seek permission for the removal of one of the screws as a memorial to the ship, and the German Navy League placed an official request with the US Navy's Chief of Operations the following year. Many high level negotiations followed until divers from Harbor Clearance Unit One were instructed to remove the port screw in 1978. After cutting the shaft and the supporting stays, the 12-ton propeller was taken ashore by landing craft and then shipped to Long Beach, California. Finally, the Hapag-Lloyd container ship Rhein Express took the screw to Bremerhaven.
After the 12,000 mile journey home, the propeller was cleaned and placed on a specially constructed stand beside the German Naval Memorial at Laboe. The memorial was unveiled to the public on November 24, 1979.