Ramlade trosorna ofta ned på kvinnor i USA under VK2?

Diskussioner kring teknikens utveckling genom tiderna och dess inverkan på vår historia.
Skriv svar
Darkwand
Medlem

Ramlade trosorna ofta ned på kvinnor i USA under VK2?

Inlägg av Darkwand » 4 juli 2012, 01:15

:roll:

Jag läste lite om amerikanska Pin-Up konstnärer från 40-50 talet då jag även har ett fotografiskt intresse.
Jag läste dock att en av anledningarna till att det var så vanligt med trosor som ramlade ned i Pin-Up bilder under den här eran var att det faktiskt hände hyfsat ofta. Orsaken var att resåren var ransonerad och att "ersättningen" inte höll en sådan kvalité att man kunde lita på den.

Det här är ett ganska absurt ämne att diskutera men det ger en inblick i hur krigsansträngningarna påverkade dom mest udda delar av samhället.

Användarvisningsbild
Hans
Redaktör och stödjande medlem 2024

Re: Ramlade trosorna ofta ned på kvinnor i USA under VK2?

Inlägg av Hans » 4 juli 2012, 08:20

Intressant. Jag tycker din teori inte allls är omöjlig.

Relaterrat.

viewtopic.php?f=40&t=41229

MVH

Hans

Användarvisningsbild
Sarvi
Medlem

Inlägg av Sarvi » 4 juli 2012, 08:30

Har hört detsamma, och har någonstans sett en annons från VK2 som gick i stil med "Uncle Sam wants rubber, we apologise [for the shite waistbands]" (ok, det sista var formulerat annorlunda men det var kontentan av det hela).

Användarvisningsbild
Hans

Inlägg av Hans » 4 juli 2012, 10:33

Wiki skrev:During World War II, elastic waistbands and metal snaps gave way once again to button fasteners due to rubber and metal shortages. Undergarments were harder to find as well, since soldiers abroad had priority to obtain them.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Undergarme ... _and_1940s

MVH

Hans

Användarvisningsbild
Hans

Inlägg av Hans » 4 juli 2012, 10:41

Rationing During the World War
I wasn’t around during either World War so can only use my imagination, history texts and those oh-so-accurate Hollywood movies for my impressions of it. My parents both had been in the tail-end of WWII. I can also take memories as my mother has told me a few stories about those times.

When I was a child my mother had this drawer in the china cabinet (a pretty old and shoddy one) that was full of stuff. It had playing cards, some with girly pinups (of my father’s), ashtrays, rumoli chips, cribbage boards, coasters and whatnot. It also had a small stack of postcards. Where they came from I’m not sure. Some were joke or funny postcards but all were illustrated as opposed to photographs. A few of these had those classic pictures of a woman, pin-up style of course, showing stockings and peeks of underwear.

One particular card I remember had a woman holding her hand over her mouth as her underwear puddled around her feet while she watched a man change her tire. I recall other cards with the dropping underwear thing and just never got it. It wasn’t until my mother told me that rubber was rationed in the war that I started to understand.

When the Japanese and Germans cut off supply lines for various items, the UK, Canada and US (along with needing various items to feed the troops) brought in war rationing as well as other countries affected by the war. Rationing lasted from 1942-47 in Canada, from 1942-46 in the US and from 1939-1954 in the UK. Obviously European countries were harder hit as they were directly in the line of fire and did not have the range of resources that N. America had.

Rubber was needed for tires and other items so it was rationed on civilian cars, but it also affected fashion. There were no elastic waistbands in underwear, nor straps on bras. And no wonder women cherished the silk stocking from France. Clothing in general, especially in Europe was rationed as well and people were only allowed to buy so much in a year and had to use ration coupons for everything. Of course rationing affected all types of food as well.

My mother told me about the problems of wearing the button underwear of yesteryear. The buttonholes were given to stretching, which often caused a malfunction of the underwear. She said she saw this well-dressed woman walking along the street one day and slowly this pink fabric began to creep below her coat. The woman stopped, stepped out of her underwear and kept walking, leaving the pink offender behind. Women often put safety pins into their underwear to secure it better. Imagine our world now, if we had nothing that stretched. That would eliminate almost all underwear out there including yoga and exercise wear, bumpers, steering wheels, tires, boots, shoes, electronics from phones to kettles, you name it.

http://colleenanderson.wordpress.com/20 ... world-war/

MVH

Hans

Skriv svar