Avsagd odödlighet?

Diskussioner kring J.R.R. Tolkien och hans verk.
Spaningsledaren
Tidigare medlem

Inlägg av Spaningsledaren » 17 oktober 2007, 20:42

En konstnär meddelar sig med sin publik genom sina verk. Den konstnärliga uttrycksfomen verkar till väsentlig del intuitivt, vädjande till känslorna. Jag tror därför att det är en i grunden ganska dubiös syssla att alltför nära skärskâda sâdant som en författares dolda avsikter och -budskap. Att här försöka bevisa nâgot torde i vart fall vara utsiktslöst. Uppträdande motsägelser förrâder framförallt läsarens avfall frân den intuitivt fotade, med omedelbara, läsupplevelsen.

Däremot kan nytolkningar ibland öppna oväntade perspektiv. För en tid sedan läste jag t.ex. att när Proust i sin "Pâ Spaning.." redovisar samtal där den manliga kretsen ger sig ut för att söka efter "flickor" att detta - i själva verket - skulle ha utgjort författarens kod för "unga pojkar". (Sâdant skulle man kanske inte komma fram till pâ egen hand.) Med den läsarten i minne framträder sedan verket i en delvis ny belysning.

I övrigt hänvisar jag gärna till Frans G. Bengtssons lysande essä om romanskrivandets konst och hans egna överväganden inför arbetet med "Röde Orm".

Pengolodh
Medlem

Inlägg av Pengolodh » 17 oktober 2007, 21:24

Jag fortsätter citerandet:
Tolkien skrev:From their beginnings the chief difference between Elves and Men lay in the fate and nature of their spirits. The fëar of the Elves were destined to dwell in Arda for all the life of Arda, and the death of the flesh did not abrogate that destiny. Their fëar were tenacious therefore of life 'in the raiment of Arda', and far excelled the spirits of Men in power over that 'raiment', even from the first days protecting their bodies from many ills and assaults (such as disease), and healing them swiftly of injuries, so that they recovered from wounds that would have proven fatal to Men.
As ages passed the dominance of their fëar ever increased, 'consuming' their bodies (as has been noted). The end of this process is their 'fading', as Men have called it; for the body becomes at last, as it were, a mere memory held by the fëa; and that end has already been achieved in many regions of Middle-earth, so that the Elves are indeed deathless and may not be destroyed or changed. Thus it is that the further we go back in the histories, the more often do we read of the death of the Elves of old; and in the days when the minds of the Eldalië were young and not yet fully awake death among them seemed to differ little from the death of Men.
Tolkien skrev:With regard to King Finrod, it must be understood that he starts with certain basic beliefs, which he would have said were derived from one or more of these sources: his created nature; angelic instruction; thought; and experience.
1. There exists Eru (The One); that is, the One God Creator, who made (or more strictly designed) the World, but is not Himself the World. This world, or Universe, he calls , an Elvish word that means 'It is', or 'Let It Be'.
2. There are on Earth 'incarnate' creatures, Elves and Men: these are made of a union of hröa and fëa (roughly but not exactly equivalent to 'body' and 'soul'). This, he would say, was a known fact concerning Elvish nature, and could therefore be deduced for human nature from the close kinship of Elves and Men.
3. Hröa and fëa he would say are wholly distinct in kind, and not on the 'same plane of derivation from Eru', but were designed each for the other, to abide in perpetual harmony. The fëa is indestructible, a unique identity which cannot be disintegrated or absorbed into any other identity. The hröa, however, can be destroyed and dissolved: that is a fact of experience. (In such a case he would describe the fëa as 'exiled' or 'houseless'.)
4. The separation of fëa and hröa is 'unnatural', and proceeds not from the original design, but from the 'Marring of Arda', which is due to the operations of Melkor.
5. Elvish 'immortality' is bounded within a part of Time (which he would call the History of Arda), and is therefore strictly to be called rather 'serial longevity', the utmost limit of which is the length of the existence of Arda. A corollary of this is that the Elvish fëa is also limited to the Time of Arda, or at least held within it and unable to leave it, while it lasts.
6. From this it would follow in thought, if it were not a fact of Elvish experience, that a 'houseless' Elvish fëa must have the power or opportunity to return to incarnate life, if it has the desire or will to do so. (Actually the Elves discovered that their fëar had not this power in themselves, but that the opportunity and means were provided by the Valar, by the special permission of Eru for the amendment of the unnatural state of divorce. It was not lawful for the Valar to force a fëa to return; but they could impose conditions, and judge whether return should be permitted at all, and if so, in what way or after how long.)
7. Since Men die, without accident, and whether they will to do so or not, their fëar must have a different relation to Time. The Elves believed, though they had no certain information, that the fëar of Men, if disembodied, left Time (sooner or later), and never returned.
Vad gäller biologi känns Tolkiens svar rätt talande: "I do not care". Kanske genomgick Arwens celler något slags genomgripande förändring i ett visst ögonblick, eller kanske inte. Det väsentliga var vad hennes beslut fick för konsekvenser efter döden. Alvers och människors avlagda hroa gick nog ungefär samma väg oavsett arttillhörighet.

Ohlmarxisten
Medlem

Inlägg av Ohlmarxisten » 17 oktober 2007, 23:10

Pengolodh skrev:Vad gäller biologi känns Tolkiens svar rätt talande: "I do not care".
Tolkien säger ett par meningar tidigare i samma brev att det nog är så att “the chief difficulties I have involved myself in are scientific and biological — which worry me just as much as the theological and metaphysical”. Det Tolkien inte bryr sig om verkar vara huruvida biologin i hans sekundärvärld kan ges en förklaring via biologin i primärvärlden. Men det väsentliga vad gäller Arwen är naturligtvis beslutet, det håller jag med om. Hur det verkställs är en teknikalitet som man kan anse att Tolkien lyckats mer eller mindre bra med. Precis som man kan anse att det är mer eller mindre bra uttänkt hur ringen förmår göra någon osynlig. Varför blir man bara osynlig om man har den på fingret? Och hur avgör ringen vilka klädespersedlar och annat som också ska bli osynliga.

Pengolodh
Medlem

Inlägg av Pengolodh » 18 oktober 2007, 19:49

Och varför blir fingret synligt när det bitits av från handen, med ringen på? :)

Ändå frågar jag mig inte om det är en teknikalitet som Tolkien lyckats mindre bra med. Kanske är det snarare jag som läsare som lyckats mindre bra när jag ställer frågan?

Ohlmarxisten
Medlem

Inlägg av Ohlmarxisten » 18 oktober 2007, 21:36

Pengolodh skrev:Och varför blir fingret synligt när det bitits av från handen, med ringen på? :)

Ändå frågar jag mig inte om det är en teknikalitet som Tolkien lyckats mindre bra med. Kanske är det snarare jag som läsare som lyckats mindre bra när jag ställer frågan?
Kanske har du det. ;)

För övrigt tycker jag att Tolkien med tanke på genren lyckats väl med "the inner consistency of reality".

Skriv svar