Skotsk tidigmodern klädsel (stereotyp)

Diskussioner kring händelser under renässansen, tidig modern tid och upplysningen.
Skriv svar
Davian
Medlem

Skotsk tidigmodern klädsel (stereotyp)

Inlägg av Davian » 17 maj 2013, 00:47

Hur historiskt "korrekt" är Connor McLeouds kläder i Highlander-filmen? Eller övriga skottar för den delen.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_yvyXxBOgVg

Jag har under flera år, pga lite förvirring, gått under benämningen "highlander" i mina kretsar och till hösten
är planen att det ska vara en dunderfest där temat är "dig själv fast på låtsats". Då tänkte jag att man borde se ut som en "highlander".

Fast jag vill ju göra det så historiskt rätt som möjligt så hjälp mig. :)

Användarvisningsbild
cats
Medlem

Re: Skotsk tidigmodern klädsel (stereotyp)

Inlägg av cats » 17 maj 2013, 06:24

Kilten är inget lätt plagg att kopiera, eller att köpa.

Angående den historiska bakgrunden, går den inte riktigt så långt tillbaks i tiden som Hollywood brukar indikera, mins inte riktigt hur långt tillbaks i tiden det handlar om, mitten på 1700-talet poppar upp i skallen så där spontant (har det inte funnits en tråd här på Skalman om kilten?). Men det behöver inte i sig vara ett hinder för dig att gå på maskerad som Highlander iklädd kilt.

På youtube finns flera videon om hur man gör och för sig i kilt

http://youtu.be/qkZWro9skmo

Annars finns det engelsmän som hävdar att kiltens ursprung inte alls är skotskt, utan egentligen engelskt.... men vad annat kan man vänta sig av de där plattlänningarna :lol:

Davian
Medlem

Inlägg av Davian » 17 maj 2013, 14:02

jag har lärt mig att Kilt som plagg har historiskt ursprung sen 1500-talet nån gång, fast en kilt är ju liksom inte en kjol utan mer toga-aktigt. Sen på mitten av 1700-talet gled den engelske kungen upp till skottland och ville vara klädd som sitt skotska regemente och hade därför kilt. Fast kjolvarianten. Efter det blev den högsta mode i england. :)

jag tänker även på övriga detaljer. Stora skinnfällar över axlar, långt hår och sånt- :)

Användarvisningsbild
von Adler
Medlem
Kontakt:

Inlägg av von Adler » 17 maj 2013, 14:24

In 1618, a poet from London, John Taylor described the costume of Scottish aristocrats, lairds, and their followers and servants, dressed for hunting at Braemar. In August and September, all classes dressed in the same fashion by custom, as if equals. This included tartan stockings and jerkins, with garters of twisted straw, and a finer plaid mantle round their shoulders. They had knotted handkerchiefs at their necks and wore blue caps. Taylor said the tartan was "warm stuff of diverse colours."
Ja, originalkliten är mer en toga än dagens kiltar.
The kilt itself in its original form was a very basic garment which required neither the trouble of tailoring nor the frequent replacement which a pair of breeches needed. The tartan cloth forming a piece of material some 2 yards in width by 4 or 6 yards in length. This was known variously as the Breacan, the Feileadh Bhreacain and the Feileadh Mor - the big kilt, usually referrred to in English as the belted plaid.

To put it on, its owner "put his leather belt on the ground and then placed the material lengthways over it. This he then methodically plaited it in the middle, (suitable to the size of the wearer) over the belt until he had gathered along its length leaving as much at each end as would cover the front of the body, overlapping each other. Lying down on the belt, he would then fold these ends - overlapping each other. The plaid being thus prepared, was firmly bound round the loins with a leathern belt, in such a manner that the lower side fell down to the middle of the knee joint, and then while there were the foldings behind, the cloth was double before. The upper part was then fastened on the left shoulder with a large brooch, or pin, so as to display to the most advantage the tastefulness of the arrangement, the two ends being sometimes suffered to hang down, but that on the right side, which was of necessity the longest, was more usually tucked under the belt."

The belted plaid had many advantages in the Highland climate and terrain. It allowed freedom of movement, it was warm, the upper half could provide a voluminous cloak against the weather, it dried out quickly and with much less discomfort than trousers and if required it could, by the mere undoing of the belt, provide a very adequate overnight blanketing. The tightly woven wool proved almost completely waterproof, something the lose woven wool of today -- is not. When complete freedom of action was required in battle it was easily discarded, and one famous Highland clan battle, that between the Frasers the MacDonalds and Camerons in 1544, is known as Blar-na-Leine, which can be translated as 'Field of the Shirts'.

The garment that was (originally) largely, -- that of the people; and lesser leaders) worn a Leine Croich or saffron shirt, in fact a knee-length garmet of leather, linen or canvas, heavily pleated and quilted, which provided a surprisingly good defense and which was much more mobile (and less expensive) than contemporary plate armour. This form of dress in to be seen on West Highland tombstones right up to the early seventeenth century, worn with a high conical helmet and the great two-handed claymore. For ordinary wear the kilt may be made of tartan or tweed and may be box-pleated or knife-pleated (as are most); for dress wear it should be of the dress tartan of the Clan. If the Clan posses one. The kilt should be worn with the lower edges reaching not lower than the centre of the knee-cap.
Den mer moderna kilten;
The Feileadh Beg, or little kilt, is what is worn today. In essence it consists of the lower part of the old belted palid with the pleats sewn in at the back and neatly tailored (knife pleated), the ends of the kilt's two aprons being drawn across the front of the body and secured usually by buckle and strap. This form of dress may have existed earlier, but there is no sign of it before 1725. It is a severe shock to many people to find that the "little kilt's originator may well have been an Englishman, one Rawlinson, who was employed as the manager of an iron smelting works in Lochaber who adapted it, to allow more freedom of movement for his workers. (Probably so they could work faster being the concerned English they were). Be that as it may, it is this form of garment which is now firmly taken as being the kilt.
Man ska notera att kilten på den tiden bara bars i högländerna, och inte ens av alla där. Låglandsskottarna, som alltid varit i majoritet, ansåg den vara en barbarisk och omodern företeelse och klädde sig hellre efter europeiskt mode.

Användarvisningsbild
von Adler
Medlem
Kontakt:

Inlägg av von Adler » 17 maj 2013, 14:27

Notera att detta är samma tygstycke.

Bild

Användarvisningsbild
von Adler
Medlem
Kontakt:

Inlägg av von Adler » 17 maj 2013, 14:30

Skriv svar